Craftsuprint - The Worlds Largest Legal Craft Download Site!

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Technique Tuesday - Wishi Washi

 Hi Everyone,

Sue here,

Welcome to Technique Tuesday.  Today, I am showing you how to make your own Washi Tape in 3 ways:












1. Using pre printed tissue paper.
2. Using white or coloured tissue paper and stamping onto it.
3. Using Micropore tape. (This is a sticky thin masking type tape used for securing bandages, gauze etc to your skin.  It comes in different widths and can be purchased from chemists or good old pound shops)!!  

What is Washi tape you ask? 

To put it simply, washi tape is a high quality masking tape made of rice paper. You can tear it, stick it, reposition it, write on it... We often hear that washi tape is expensive but if you compare it to ribbon it works out about the same but why spend all that money - make your own and spend it on some other goodies on the website. 

History

In 2006 a group of artists approached a Japanese masking tape manufacturer - Kamoi Kakoshi - and presented them with a book of art they had created using the company's industrial masking tapes. The artists requested that Kamoi Kakoshi manufacture colourful masking tapes for artists.

This was the start of mt masking tape. In the beginning, there were 20 colours, colours designed to bring out the beauty of the rice paper (or washi) used to make the tape. The tapes were a hit - with artists, crafters, and design lovers - both in Japan and, gradually, internationally. With success came new colours, patterns and sizes. (curtesy of omiyage blogs)

The first technique, I cut a strip of the printed tissue paper and dug out some long lost pattern edging scissors and cut a deckle edge.  Then placed a strip of double sided tape or glue on the rear bottom of the strip.  I then die cut a circle in black and started at the outside edge and worked inward with the strip (edge pattern on the outside), until I got to the middle.  I then used an embellishment for the centre and added glamour dust by using cosmic shimmer glue in areas on the flower to make it sparkle.

The second technique I cut a long strip of the white tissue paper and stamped in versamark one of the 'tattered backgrounds' from Heartfelt Creations.  I then used white embossing powder over the top and heat set with an embossing heat gun.  I then  placed a strip of double sided tape on the rear bottom of the strip.  I then punched out a circle in white and started at the outside edge and worked inward with the strip until I got to the middle.  I then sprayed the tissue paper flower with cosmic shimmer mist in purple.  I then used an embellishment for the centre.

The third technique I cut a strip of micropore tape and stuck it to a piece of acetate as a temporary measure.  I then stamped over the tape in versamark with the same stamp set, white embossing powder and heat set.  I then took this off the acetate and used another punched out circle and  started at the outside edge and worked inward with the strip until I got to the middle.  I then sprayed the micropore tape flower with cosmic shimmer mist in red.  This gives a different effect than the tissue paper as it is virtually non-porous so the ink sits on the top of the tape and makes pools of ink.  I then used an embellishment for the centre.



You could put the tissue paper through a big shot with a spellbinder edging die and make further flowers!

I have added the pre printed flower to this weeks stamps of the week which are Wild Rose Studio.
Today I have used  Birdhouse and kept it simple by stamping in versamark and then heat set in ebony embossing powder. 

I then highlighted parts with glamour dust.  The flourish is the Heartfelt Creations Bella Rose die and the inside of the paper flower and leaves re from the Penny Black Petal Party. 
These two sets I used quite often and you will be seeing them regular in my work as accents.  A Brad is used to secure the middle of the flower.  All have been glued with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue - my favoriate.

Hope you have fun with these techniques.
Happy Crafting
Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment